Unannounced Quake engine-based game by 3DRealms

3DRealms is working on a new first-person shooter, based on a Quake engine port. Mappers working on it include Romain Barrilliot and Gaving Edgington: https://twitter.com/skacky/status/1055077191883673605

A sequence of a couple of seconds has been released on Discord:

Personally, I hope it’s a Talon Brave game: Paul Schuytema’s story was awesome.

I love(d) Quake 1&2.
For a new commercial game though, I hope they have more than just some funky previews, from a dinosaur game engine. I wanna play what I pay for, but not pay for just 'cause it was the engine in vogue in 1998.

If they use Darkplaces, AND they make full use of it (high resolution textures, dynamic lighting, normal mapping, specular mapping), AND they include a level editor, I’ll gladly buy it.

Cool.

I also love Unity 3D, my fav engine is the still the CryEngine. Yet, those needs the magic, to receive cash from me.

The genius from George B, John R., Kevin C and so on did that, not their game engines they used.

Don’t include him. George “Hoover Goddamn” Broussard is why we did NOT get any of the following:

• a Quake2-based DNF before the 1990s were over
  • Prey with the original story by Paul Schuytema (no use to keep developing a game that would’ve looked worse than the first Unreal-based DNF iteration)
  • possibly, a Preytech-based Duke Nukem Vengeance in the early 2000s.

George’s long list of failures is also why 3DRealms no longer owns the Duke Nukem, Max Payne and Prey IPs. Personally, I trust that this game will rock PRECISELY because George is no longer part of 3DRealms.

Sir DevilMaster, I say he (G.B.) gave us Duke 3D.
Without that, I’d never have taught my self, level design, modeling, let alone AI programming. Duke 3D still inspires me. :grinning: , well so does Quake II :stuck_out_tongue:

He certainly SOLD us Duke Nukem 3D. But if you want to credit the people behind the creation of Duke Nukem 3D, credit Ken Silverman, Allen Blum, Todd Replogle, Levelord.

^ Fair enough.
Still, look a this Duke Nukem’s World Tour thingy, from another game developer …
Hiring, just some, key people from the past, suggest that it may does not cut it.
Well, so I say.
One needs (what I call the magic) the wee bit extra to make it to the top.

Best wishes for the new 3D Realms, but get your own George B, or what ever the actual name will be.

Do you REALLY want them to get an individual who will lead to 14 years of constant bad decisions? Who will constantly tell them to scrap whatever they have done because other games have come out that are more technically impressive?

Randy has a history of bending over to 2K, whatever their requests are. I bet the contract between 2K and Gearbox states something to the effect of:

• Whenever 2K expresses an opinion, Randy agrees.
  • It is not necessary for 2K to express an opinion for Randy to agree.
  • It is not necessary for Randy to agree for 2K’s word to be implemented.

George = “I have no idea what I’m doing, let’s just copy all the games.”
Randy = “I have no idea what I’m doing, let’s just delegate the thinking to the publisher.”

You may, are missing the point.
It is easy to put some one down, like G.B. It ain’t that easy to get, what I call the magic, the positive ingredients to a game.

Magic == the mysterious spice, that makes a game going to the top.
Chess (my all time favourite)
Tetras
Sonic
Duke 3D, Quake 2 etc.
WoW
Final Fantasy
and so on.

they have (had) magic, something that made one want to them to play. ALL others try to capitalize, without understanding it their depth.

This is how I see the current 3D Realms, a profit motivated, very shallow corporations, without the magic.

Thus, good luck to 3D Realms, personally, not interested in some cheap Quake remake.

I’ll let you in to a secret. The magic, as you call it, is not in the game. Nor is it in the people who develop the game. It’s in you.

I’m sure you can remember what you felt the first time you played Duke Nukem 3D. I bet it was something similar to a pleasant tingle in your muscles, your jaw dropping with astonishment, while you saw things you didn’t expect to be possible in a game. Those sensations were possible because you had not yet had comparable experiences, so what you saw was breaking boundaries, challenging your expectations, forming memories that you would later hold as a meter of comparison for other games.

But now… you’re all grown up. You’ve had many more experiences, you have a pretty good idea about what to expect, so it’s much harder to astonish you in the same way. It’s the same reason why seasoned surfers can never match the high they felt the first time they successfully rode a wave: simply because they have more experience.

Just to answer the first paragraph …
Yes, it is subjective :grinning:
I just happen to be a strongly everlasting boy …
Even my current girls demands to grow up a bit. Won’t happen. I’m almost 60 now. :stuck_out_tongue:

For now, thanks, for being polite, we will both see what 3D Realms will turn out.

Yeah, back when Quake was new, that certainly did throw a learning curve in terms of how to use it, that’s for sure. Additive geometry was definitely a foreign concept coming from the old “sectors and sprites” era that the Doom/Doom 2 and Build engines were using. Maybe we were too spoiled. Took long enough to finally get a grasp on additive building. :slight_smile: