TURN - AMC Series

After recording them on the DVR, I was able to watch all ten episodes of this season’s TURN in four evenings, zapping through the commercials, which gives a run time of about 40 minutes out of the hour’s broadcast. I have been pleased to have this series being run on AMC. There are some alterations to actual historical events, but not so much as compared with other “historical” series and theatrical movies. The actor portraying General George Washington is most impressive, capturing the human flaws as well as the principled military leader of the American Revolution. The actors portraying the other characters are also effective, especially the one portraying the British officer Simcoe. The latter is so effective that I can’t help hating the character and wish that he would die, although he seems to be unkillable.

* SPOILER ALERT *

I was riveted to the screen during the hanging scenes, which alternated between the hanging of Major André and the simultaneous attempted hanging of Abraham Woodhull. Almiost had to grab a hankie when Abraham’s father, the Judge, ran to his rescue and was joined by other men in their farming community.

* END OF SPOILER *

The timing for watching the series couldn’t have been better and helped rev me up for the weekend ahead. I haven’t heard if the series has been renewed for another season. Now I’m waiting for the next season of “Manhattan,” the more or less historical account of the development of Fat Man and Little Boy in Los Alamos, New Mexico. Having been a resident of New Mexico for several years, I’m happy to see that the exterior locations have actually been filmed in and around Los Alamos.

Is that the one on WGN? I remember seeing ads for it when it began, but I didn’t know it was still going.

Yes, on WGN. which we’re lucky to have on our Cable line-up. I believe the last season was fall 2015. Haven’t heard anything about the next season, but the finale episode I saw really left the audience hanging. :confused:

It looked interesting, but I haven’t gotten around to watching it. A quick search revealed that WGN cancelled it after the second season, so I guess it’s done.

Just looked at the WGN site and read around 45 comments re: cancellation, the majority of which were positive and called for the series to be picked up by another network. Although I’m really disappointed, it’s true that Season 2 presented some outlandish twists, but I was willing to forgive the writers as long as the story kept coming back to development of Fat Man and Little Boy. I can think of some reasons for the low ratings: 1. Lack of appeal to a younger audience; 2. Lack of promotion by WGN America. If History Channel picked up this series, it might receive better promotion and better writing. One thing that was missing was the sense of urgency at that time to get the bombs developed before Germany succeeded in building their own bomb. That urgency was captured in the theatrical film “Fat Man and Little Boy,” released back in the 80’s I believe (need to check the date.)

While I was living in Santa Fe, I had the opportunity to learn from retired physicists who had worked on the Manhattan Project. What I remember most about what they told me was that while security was top priority, safety was not, which meant that people were often exposed to hazardous and radioactive materials. I guess no one had enough time to research the effects of such exposure and to recommend higher safety standards. (Although they already knew such exposure was what finally killed Madame Curie.) :angry:

That usually happens any time a series with any kind of dedicated fan base gets cancelled. Once in a while it happens, but for a show like that the best bet may have been someone like Amazon or Netflix, rather than a traditional network. I don’t think they’re too interested in picking up cancelled tv shows, though. It was supposed to be a huge deal when Netflix brought back “Arrested Development,” but I don’t think it did very much for them. Some shows never have more than a cult following, I guess. think the show was actually featured in an ad for Hulu, but I don’t think they produce all that much original content.

That’s amazing, many people would envy that opportunity! Has it since been disclosed how many people died as a result of contamination at the time?

One man in particular was a cancer survivor, but linking that to radiation exposure was not explored; I never heard or read about any other cases in the Santa Fe area. Most of the publicity at that time centered around people who had worked in Nevada Nuclear Test Sites.

Yes, I thought it was amazing to get first-hand accounts from people who had worked at the Los Alamos Lab. Living there was also amazing in that so many pueblo ruins were nearby, while many Pueblo and Hispanic people followed traditional customs, plus the climate was mostly agreeable (low humidity in summertime.)

Thank you so much for your interest and replies. I could go on but I’d have to start a new topic. :grin: