Happy 25th Anniversary to Major Stryker

Happy 25th Anniversary to Major Stryker, originally released Jan 15, 1993.

Major Stryker was the first and only solo game by Duke Nukem stalwart, Allen H. Blum III. Al did this EGA scrolling shooter game inbetween the first and second Duke Nukem games, and after Cosmo’s Cosmic Adventure.

While the three weren’t connected, this was the first in our three scrolling shooter games (later Raptor & Stargunner). But Major Stryker was the first. It was also our first release in 1993 (more about the others later).

We released this game as freeware in March 2006, and you can still go download it yourself now if you’ve never played it. It is available today at the 3D Realms website: https://3drealms.com/catalog/major-stryker_47/

Here are a couple of screenshots to go with the game. You will note that Allen was a fan of the movie “Aliens” in the high score list. The game also says “GAME OVER MAN” in a very familiar voice, too. :slight_smile:

As another added treat, you can download a pdf of the original hint sheet we used to mail to customers who would purchase the game from us. http://legacy.3drealms.com/stryker/Major_Stryker_Hint_Sheet.pdf

NOTE: To those who follow our site well, you may note that we have had release dates for Major Stryker of Jan 1st and Jan 31st, 1993 in the past. After consulting with Allen about that subject, we’re pretty positive the actual release date is January 15th.

Thanks! The link for the hint sheet didn’t work for me, I had to change the str… to stryker.

are you sure about that release date of January 15, 1993?
I have a zip file with version 1 shareware version of Major
Stryker dated January 28, 1993 from Chestnut’s Shareware
Overload Trio CD-ROM set. When you run INSTALL.BAT
it says PKSFX ® FAST! Self Extracting Utility Version 2.04e 01-25-93
MajorStryker1MajorStryker2
if you created the shareware release before the release date, release
would of have to of been on or after January 28

I was browsing through the credits of Gary Sirois on MobyGames when I noticed the title screens of BassDuel and General Trivia contain the letters GLS in the lower right hand corner. The same letters are also on the Apogee screen of Crystal Caves and Secret Agent. Does this mean he created that image?

Here’s a screenshot of Hugo III: Jungle of Doom that also contains the letters GLS.