FOUR Avatar Sequels?

Whaaaaa?

In spite of being the highest grossing movie of all time, I wonder if there’s really a demand for this much more Avatar? I guess we’ll find out. I liked the movie, and if I still have faith in one filmmaker, it’s James Cameron.

Still, 2023? Am I the only one that gets anxious when they read these projected release dates? I don’t want to think about things that far out… :cold_sweat:

I’m personally indifferent. I mean I liked the first one, but I don’t own it on home video at all.

I’ll go see it, which I suppose is the whole point of making a sequel. But I am not going “WHEN IS IT COMING OUT - SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY”…

That’s the Independence Day sequel. :slight_smile:

It’s one of those movies that I don’t really think to watch, but then I really enjoy if I stumbled onto it on TV. [quote=“Joe3DR, post:3, topic:230”]
That’s the Independence Day sequel.
[/quote]
I’m curious to see how that one turns out, too.

That’s four sequels too many.

Sorry, I hated Avatar.
I’ve watched it twice. The first time because everyone was praising it to hell and back. I found it bland, tedious and completely uninspired.
Later, I tried to rewatch… thinking maybe watching it after the hype had died down I would be able to get into it more. Nope.
Even worse second time around. I stopped the film at one point and went back to it later… and still found myself scanning my TV room for other things to focus on.

Everything about it just… meh.
Visually, it looks like someone just got carried away with the CGI and only worked to make an obnoxious looking life action cartoon.
Horrible writing, forgettable characters… and a blatant ripoff of Cameron’s own previous films, and other films such as Dances with Wolves and Ferngully. The whole thing just strikes me as lazy.

Loved “Avatar,” especially the dragons, got the DVD, but don’t know about the need for a sequel. Hollywood is stuck on sequels; can’t come up with original ideas. Example: “Star Wars” prequels and sequels didn’t excite me much. It’s all just a matter of taste and what it takes to strike a nerve in any individual.

I don’t know if I’d call this “Hollywood”. From when the first one was new, Cameron was talking about more. I view this more as James Cameron than anything else.

That could be, but I’m just thinking of all the sequels put out in the last 20-25 years; add to that the remakes of movies previously made only ten or fifteen years before: “Superman,” the “Rocky” movies, the comic book character movies…there are so many I can’t think of them all. The remakes especially tend to be inferior to the originals, just taking advantage of improved technology, looser standards, etc. As a former English teacher (I can hear people gagging) I can’t help but think of all the great books for which screen versions have never been attempted. Not only those but great historical events as well. Alas, they’d probably result in mediocre writing, revised characters and events, etc. in translation to scrren. Of course there have been exceptions.

1 Like

Hollywood is certainly geared towards franchises now, and that means remakes, reboots, and sequels. Until they stop making money, we’ll keep seeing them. It’s to the point where nothing is safe–even Blade Runner is getting a sequel. In spite of the fact that lots of talented people are involved, that’s really not a movie that needed a sequel.

The obvious culprit right now are the superhero movies. I’m actually starting to get burnout, and haven’t been to see any of them since Ant-Man. On one hand, I’m like everyone else; if I like something, I want more of it. On the other, it would be nice to see something new a little more often.

As Joe said, in the case of Avatar, it’s all Cameron. He was talking sequels right from the start, which I thought was odd. If I remember correctly he’s only ever done one sequel to his own stuff (T2) in his career. I like his stuff, and I know he’ll do something that I find interesting, so I welcome it either way.

I love Avatar. We live in reality, it’s nice to let the mind go into fantasy land, for a little while.
Done right, the sequels can become a great story as a whole.

3 Likes